Recent Posts

Thursday, April 22, 2010

This is an all skate in the normal skating direction

I used to have some rockin' quad skates like these. But mine had better laces and some Tommy Hilfiger dealy on them. Obviously superior. Back in the day, I used to frequent Skate Palace in Salem. It has since been closed down because of violence/drugs but these are the things I remember about Skate Palace:
Smelling like dirty money for a day afterward
Having my Carrera's (see above) checked before entering to make sure they were rink-approved
Wreck-skating
Always wearing white in order to take full advantage of the black light
The DJ, Darren, who we all had huge crushes on
The Giant Dice
Rivalries, crying, catfights, crushes
Couple Skating
Red Light, Green Light and all the bruises that came along with it
Feeling cooler than I've ever felt in my life when I put on my skates

About a month ago I convinced some of my friends to go to Skate World with me in Springfield. Now, sadly I gave away my skates sophomore year when I moved out of the dorms. I thought they were too clunky to carry around with me and this is legitimately one of the biggest regrets of my life. SO, I had to wear some of the good old brown and orange ones which made it a little difficult to re-master my skillz but of course I kept going in the face of adversity and was a complete show off the entire time. I was also the happiest I can remember being in years. Not to say that I'm not happy a lot- I really really am. However, this was like turbo-happiness.

I also got hit on by 12 year olds. Three boys, still wearing their middle school football jerseys from their game earlier in the afternoon and all with their own skates (obviously cool kids), hovered for a while before they sent one of them over "my friend thinks you're hot. and you're a really good skater. peace"
Yeah. Right. Those kids have some balls. I don't even look young.
This pretty much continued for the rest of the time we were there.
Jason caught up with one of them outside and told them I thought they were hot too and I hope that by now the story has morphed and they are still talking about that time they made out with a college girl at Skate World. I hope.
You can't really see the unbridled joy here but it's definitely there. This rink even had a blue floor and horrible seventies carpet like my Skate Palace.

0 comments: