Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Last month I cooked


So I made this delicious pizza last month and took pictures and everything and now I am finally finally putting it up. K, here goes

The first time I made this pizza I made it vegan. I found the croissant crust idea on some vegan cooking site. Sorry don't remember which. In June when I (hopefully) get the willpower to go back to being vegan I will do that again. For now, I will just let you know how to alter it to make it vegan, if such things appeal to you. However, I respectfully ask that you don't add meat to it. Because, gross. And sad.

First, you buy croissants. The Pillsbury ones are vegan. At least last time I checked. Then buy artichoke hearts, asparagus, Morningstar chicken meal starters, onions, zucchini, and tomato sauce (that is, if your daddy doesn't make it for you from his garden)

The night before, or whenever really, you should cook your asparagus and have like half of it with your dinner. Put it on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Put it in the oven and cook it until the tips are crunchy and the rest is soft. Unless that isn't how you like your asparagus. Then cook it a different way instead of my way. Eat half with your dinner and then cut it up into little pieces and set aside/put in the fridge for your pizza. Try not to eat all of it before you make the pizza. This is hard.

Now, open your croissants. Unroll all of them. You now have two choices. You can use the triangles to create a circle or you can mush it all into a ball and then roll it/smush it back into a circle. I smush because the triangles just never fit together the way I think they should. Put your croissant/pizza dough on a baking sheet and cook it for a little while. About half way-ish? (my recipe is really exact huh?)

While pre/half cooking your croissant, cut up your onions, artichoke hearts, and zucchini and saute with the Morningstar Chicken in olive oil and minced garlic until the veggies are mostly cooked and you can cut the chicken into smaller pieces with your spatula. Cut your chicken into smaller pieces. Note- while I am writing this I am thinking that green bell peppers would have been a good addition.

Pull the croissant out and put fresh garden vegetable marinara on it.
IMAG0113
Or if you aren't a Ridderbusch, put prego or whatever tomatoey goodness you want on it. OR, the first time I made it I used home made vegan alfredo sauce and it was delicious. I did this to add the creamy taste that would be missing without cheese. Both ways are good. Or maybe next time I will use tomato sauce on the bottom and then drizzle vegan alfredo on top for fake cheese effect. Gosh I'm full of good ideas.

So now, you add chicken, onions, asparagus, artichoke hearts, zucchini, and maybe peppers. I sprinkled parmesan cheese on it this time but it really didn't need it and without it the pizza would have been vegan and therefore superior.

Put it back in the oven and cook until it looks done. I like the veggies to look crispy on the edges and the dough to be pretty brown/crispy on the edges.
IMAG0115

A few notes:
Whole Foods and other such places carry vegan pizza dough usually. This is classier and also much more expensive than croissants but might be tastier. The croissant is a different taste for sure. It's a little sweet and I think it's good but maybe not for everyone.
Vegan sausage can be REALLY good and would probably be delicious on this pizza.
Roasted garlic would also be delicious.


So, there you have it. Last month I cooked and it was delicious. And I'm bad at writing recipes. Or any kind of instructions really. Sorry.

2 comments:

BDub said...

you...are unreal.

Mary said...

thanks?