Recent Posts

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

vegan is a four letter word

Since I decided to change my eating habits, I've been using the word 'vegan' because I find that its the easiest way to explain that I'm avoiding meat and dairy products. It's a recognizable word. However, I'm not technically vegan, I don't think. There are actually lots of different perceptions of exactly what being vegan means. Some vegans don't eat honey because bees make it. I eat honey often. Some vegans won't eat sugar that's been processed using a system that includes charred animal bones. I am not nearly this intense. I am avoiding meat and dairy. I've been known to eat chips with whey and chicken fat in the ingredients. I had clam chowder at Mo's(and it wasn't very good). But for the most part I am being good. I'm trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup and other shitty ingredients.
Anyways, the point of this rant is that once people hear the word vegan or even vegetarian they feel as though they need to help you monitor what you're eating. I'm not allergic to meat. I'm not gonna die if I eat dairy. It's just a choice I'm making. I'm choosing to change the things I'm eating.So, I don't need food police. So dammit, i'm not a vegan. So please, don't feel the need to tell me that my meal isn't totally vegan. I probably already know. And I don't care.
Okay, I feel better.
I made asparagus last night my favorite way, which is drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with seasoning salt and baked till soft. I ate a lot of it and then this morning I put it on an onion bagel with follow your heart fake cream cheese. It was freaking delicious. I was going to take a picture but I really needed to put it in my body. so, maybe next time.
Tonight I'm making tofu fajitas and I'm stoked about it.

0 comments: