Recent Posts

Monday, December 6, 2010

Why I love Hugh Grant


Besides the fact that I actually enjoy his movies and find him incredibly charming, I also love that he is completely aware that he plays the same role over and over again. Not only is he aware of it but he's not ashamed. I saw him interview with Oprah once and she asked him why he acts if he hates doing it. He basically said 'you people pay me millions of dollars to do something I'm rubbish at. Why wouldn't I do it?' In fact, if you see him interviewed you'll realize that for the most part, he just plays himself in each movie. Which is fine with me, even if he did get arrested for hiring cheap prostitutes and sometimes is photographed at college bars drunk out of his mind and way too old to be there. He's dashing and I adore him.
Running list of people I'd like to have dinner with: Mike Rowe, Ryan Seacrest, and Hugh Grant. Now that's a party.

Below, some more wisdom from HG.

"I did it as a joke job for a year after I left university," he says. "And I was so bad in the first things I did, I thought, `I've got to do another job to prove that I'm not quite that bad.' And that's gone on for 27 years now."

Hugh Grant insists he doesn’t like acting. So why does he do it? “Because I’m not really good at anything else,”

“As it is, I have a limited range as an actor—light comedy. I have never been a fan of romantic comedies and yet, that is what I have ended up mostly doing,” he said with a shrug.

"I kind of hate it. In fact, I hate it quite a lot - all acting, but especially movie acting."

"The truth is, I'd never seen a Cary Grant film. Since then I have watched his stuff and it's astounding, but I don't see any similarity between us. Except for the fact that I'm told he used to wear ladies' underwear, which is something I also do. "

"Most actors really love it, that's what they want to do. They burn to do it. And so they'll read a script and think, that's an interesting part. And because they love acting, that blinds them to the fact that the rest of it is pretentious nonsense, which it very often is."

"Well, you know I have an office, my film offices. So I know that syndrome. I fancy offices, so there must be something wrong with me. Even the window cleaner intrigues me. It's a very sexy environment."

"I don't think there's much point in putting me a deep, dark, heavy, emotional film because there are people who do it so much better than I do."

"I cling to the fantasy that I could have done something more creative. Like actually writing a script, or writing a book. But the awful truth is that I... probably can't!"


0 comments: