Recent Posts

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shamrock Run

This post is delayed, but I ran a 5K!! I did it. And I did it in 34 minutes(and only used my inhaler once) which isn't terrible at all. I was right in the middle for my sex/age group.
This is Garey, Ben, and I right before the race. Ben kicked my ass by 10 minutes. Garey only beat me by about 5.
The camera's face detect latched on to my chestal region and Ben was simply trying to correct the technological misunderstanding. No funny business. And plus, Pat took the picture. And also stood in the rain and watched me finish.

So uh, go me. This has been a goal of mine for years.


And, here's some unsolicited advice from a fitness non-expert: fun fact, I listened to a book on tape during the race. I find that it helps me zone out and just run and listen to the story. If you have a hard time with running/exercise because you're not one of those people who loves torturing yourself and the whole time you're watching the clock, buy a book you've been wanting to read or one of your favorites on tape and listen to it while you work out. You'll get so into the story that when the elliptical shuts off or you finish your run around the river front, you'll wonder where the time went.

That being said, I haven't run since the 5k (March 13). I know! I know! Those women I've been running with at work turned the whole experience into this 'motivational' thing where they guilt each other into running and if one of us isn't they ask why and it's just...not for me. So I got really irritated and didn't want to run. It's something I do for me and it became about not feeling guilty and not hearing about how lazy I am from women I work with. So I stopped. But today when I put away my laundry, I repacked my gym bag and it will go to work with me on Monday. And I will run by myself and not be a grump.

0 comments: