Recent Posts

Sunday, July 11, 2010

My weekend alone

I am about to head off to kickball and will therefore be ending my weekend of solitude and had some thoughts.
I spent the entire weekend alone. Well, I spent it with myself. And Joseph.
But I didn't sit and stare at the TV. When you do that it's easy to forget you're alone because you don't have to notice anything that's actually happening.
On Friday night I came home and cleaned my kitchen, read, and worked on a project. I drank tea before bed.
On Saturday I got up at 7 in the morning and made tea, ate a tangerine, and read for two hours. I then took Joseph to Tabor for some stairs and a short circuit workout at the top. I stopped at the dog park on my way home and we ended up staying for two hours as Joey made friends with a beautiful blue girl-pit with a german name I can't remember or pronounce.
When we got home we took a shower (don't judge. It's more efficient as I get covered in water anyway) and then watched some True Blood I've pirated off the internet while I ate my late breakfast.
I then got dressed in something I loved and went to the Mississippi Street Fair. Alone. I didn't call anyone. I just went. I walked up and down and people watched. I listened to music and sampled salsa at the whole foods booth.
I then went home and watched some Mad Men while I ate my late lunch of pbj and ramen. I read some more and swept my apartment. I read the news. Then I headed to Lents Park off of Powell to watch Spaghetti with a Chance of Meatballs in the park. By myself. I didn't really have any desire to see this movie but I was determined not to just sit in my apartment. Spending time with yourself, after all, should involve doing something, or somethings. (I did invite a friend to the movie but without any real hope that he'd come) There were many children and I was actually pretty at ease which is saying something. I then came home and passed out.
This morning I woke at 8 and made tea and read until a half hour ago when I made myself the best breakfast potatoes I've ever made myself. My father has been cooking me breakfast my whole life so I'm always disappointed in my attempts but these were actually pretty good. onions and orange peppers sauteed with garlic (my usual). Seasoning salted red potatoes (microwaved first because I have NO patience for potatoes) were then sauteed with the onions, peppers, and garlic till brown. Actually VERY good. The kicker. I put a spoon full of spicy salsa in the bowl with my potatoes and mixed it all up. freaking delicious.
And now I'm going to kickball full and happy and knowing that I spent a whole weekend with myself and came out of it if not a little lonely, at least knowing that I like myself quite a lot- I think you have to really like yourself to enjoy your own company, and I do. So, no big revelation here but just, I feel good.
***Post kickball addition
We won our game and had a blast. I really love the folks on my team. And at the after-game bar I gave a strapping young chap my number. Ran after him down the street to do so even. :)

0 comments: