Recent Posts

Monday, January 18, 2010

and it has a pull-up antenna

I dropped my phone in the ocean yesterday. Romeo's time on earth was cut short when, running for my life, my jacket pockets jingle jangled the little guy right into the pacific. Our generation has been the first to really grow up with cell phones- to see them as a necessary and important part of our lives since before we actually had lives to speak of. The hours between dropping Romeo in the ocean and digging through my box of old phones in the garage were uncomfortable. I'd have a thought and want to text someone- and I couldn't. We wanted to look up the tide schedules. I couldn't. Romeo 2 will arrive tomorrow. Until then, I am using an old phone from freshman year.It's been an interesting way to look back before I moved on to color screens,camera phones, slider phones, phones with email, phones with touch screen. This one is just a phone. That is all it does. And it has a pull-up antenna.




I always put symbols in front of the names of people that I call/talk to the most so that they go to the top of my alphabetical contact list. Many more names have had symbols added than have lost their symbols since saying goodbye to this phone and that feels nice.

The strangest part is getting texts/calls from people that are SO important to me now and seeing that their number is not in this phone, and realizing simultaneously that I hadn't even met these people yet. Even more mind-blowing are all the things that happened that led to me meeting those people, and all the people I have since met, befriended, and lost touch with. Since the last time I used this little phone I have...
...lived in 5 different homes
...fallen in and out of love
...had a LOT of firsts
...held and quit at least 6 different jobs
...adopted a dog
...been to Iceland
...planned the rest of my life
...scrapped those plans
...graduated from college
...bought a car
...had hos in different area codes
...continued to sing celine dion at the top of my lungs with the same girls I was singing with when I had a phone with a pull-up antenna.

1 comments:

Michelle Schraudner said...

I really love this phone. Please use it and pull it out during important times like it's super high tech stuff.